As of 12:01 am, Monday, 1 March 2021, Alert Level Red measures with modifications went into effect in PEI and will last 72 hours, until 12:01 am Thursday, 4 March, 2021.
On March 1, 2021 the PEI Funeral Services and Professions Board received updated orders from the Chief Public Health Office regarding funerals, visitation and related services.
Some of the pertinent points are:
1. During this time, visitations that would involve the mixing of households are not permitted as they would be considered a form of organized gathering, and the only exception to the public health order of no organized gatherings is for funerals as described below.
2. During these 72 hours, if there were individual households that would want to go and pay their respects to the deceased on an appointment basis with just the members of their household, and no mixing with other households, that could be an option. The Red Alert level does permit single persons to join with another household, or two individuals can join a family for essential purposes.
3. Visiting Hours are limited to one household attending at a time. Each household must book a time with the funeral home. They cannot overlap. Funeral Homes are being asked to consider limiting the number of households to immediate family of the deceased. (The definition of immediate family is to be determined by the family of the deceased.)
4. The only exception to “no organized gatherings” is for funeral ceremonies with no more than 10 people plus officiants.
5. Of course, the Public Health rules for wearing of masks, sanitizing hands and social distancing apply in all situations
6. For more information, please visit: https://www.princeedwardisland.ca/en/information/health-and-wellness/pei-covid-19-alert-level-red-measures-modifications-march-2021